Tired of going to same old popular hill stations in North India. Well, Shimla is definitely nothing new but the number of attractions and ‘things to do’ have definitely increased many fold. There is something exciting for everyone and of every age and budget.
But first if this is your first visit to the Capital then you should definitely check out the following-
- The Mall Road– Yes, if you don’t know what to do or where to start- hit the Mall. The 1 km strip of very well-maintained, traffic-free road will offer surprisingly good options to shop and eat. It is linked to other market roads like Lakkad Bazaar, the Ridge, Lower Bazaar and Ram Bazaar and Tibet Market.
- Viceregal Lodge or Institute of Advance Studies– It is a popular historic destination built in 1888 to serve as the summer residence of the British Viceroy. After independenceit was converted into the residence for the President of India and later to Institute of Advance Studies. It has remarkable architectural beauty and beautiful gardens. There is a small museum and short tours of the place are offered with a guide at fixed times.
- Jakhu Temple– There are plenty of temples and places of worship in Shimla but one building that stands out even from a distance is the statue of Hanuman at the Jakhu Temple on the top of Jakhu Hill.
- Christ Church– The second oldest church in India dating back to 1857, Christ Church is a prominent landmark in Shimla. Situated on the Ridge, it is a humble church to offer prayers.
- Kufri– Though not exactly in Shimla, but half an hour drive ahead- Kufri offers Yak and horse rides and a local zoo for tourists. You can also spot snow at some areas.
Next, if you want to try something else-
- Wax Museum– Opened roughly few months back in April 2016, it is quick and interesting place to see and get yourself clicked with wax figures. Sadly, there is not a female wax figure there.
- Places to eat– There are some interesting cafes and bakeries on the mall to check out like- Cafe Sol and Lounge, Cake Masters Bakery, Wake and Bake cafe and Beekays. Go ahead and grab a softy while strolling at Scandal point.
- Mashobra and Naldhera– Again, half an drive ahead of Shimla offering interesting sights and views with touristy horse rides. Naldhera has a full-fledged golf course.
- Places to live– There are plenty of hotels but it is best to stay on the mall road because of easy access and facilities. One of the oldest but newly renovated pocket-friendly hotels include Hotel Shingar. The rooms are beautifully built with a heritage look and the food and service excellent.
- Annadale– Just a short distance ahead of Viceregal Lodge is Annadale ground operated by the Indian Army. It has a small golf course and an army museum surrounded by lush Pine trees.
- Adventure Park– At Kufri adventure resort, you can enjoy some fun rides and attractions along with the view.
Well,enjoy your next visit!